Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The Senior Dance

An original Mayberry Short Story by Roger Parrow

“How do I look Aunt Bea?” a nervous teenager asked as he came down the steps. “Oh you look fine Andy. Sharon is going to be so proud to be with you tonight.” Secretly though, it was the matronly aunt who was filled with pride. She had watched Andy grow up since the death of his parents in the train crash in 1935. Times were hard then, but Bea would not hear of young Andy being sent off to live with anyone else. Oh how the years had flown. It seemed like only yesterday that Andy had gone out the front door for first grade. She remembered so many things, like the time she had to watch Andy fight Hodie Snitch over a fishin' hole. How that boy had grown!

She was shaken out of her thoughts by the front door opening. “Hey Aunt Bea.” said a gangly young man in a salt and pepper suit. “Well hello Barney, don't you look nice in that new suit!” “Hey Barn,” said Andy from the bottom of the steps, “Are we all set?” “You boys better get going” Aunt Bea encouraged, “You don't want to keep Sharon and Irene waiting.”

Andy and Barney hurried out the front door. They split up to get their dates and agreed to meet at the school gymnasium at 8:00. As Barney hurried off towards Irene Flogg's house Andy nervously made his way down the side walk toward the DeSpain house. As he turned up the path he realized that his palms were all sweaty and dried them on his pants. He rang the doorbell and Mr DeSpain answered. “Come in Andy, Sharon's almost ready.” Mr DeSpain and Andy talked for a few minutes about the upcoming season of the Mt Pilot Warriors, the Single A minor league team. The Warriors were looking at Andy as a pitcher, but he knew his chances were dimmed after he had lost a game where he pitched a no-hitter but walked a number of batters.

Suddenly Andy saw Sharon at the top of steps, She took his breath away as she slowly came downstairs. They was no doubt in Andy's mind about who the most beautiful girl as Mayberry Union was! “Hello Andy,” she said in a voice that would melt butter, “I'm ready.” Andy's mouth was dry and he couldn't even reply. Mr DeSpain rescued him by saying, “Have her home by 11:00 Andy.” “Yes sir,” said Andy as Sharon took his arm and his heart skipped a beat, “I will.”

By the time they got to the gym Barney and Irene were waiting out front. As the four of them walked into the gym they heard the music of Carl Benson's Wildcats. “See ya Ainge” Barney winked as he led Irene off towards the back of the gym. “Dance Sharon?” “Of course Andy, I'd love to.”

The evening passed far too quickly. Sharon was leaving on Monday for a trip to spend the summer in New York with her older sister. In September she was going to Chapel Hill to study business at the University of North Carolina. They both knew that this was their last chance to be together. Andy looked at his watch - 10:15. “Lets get some fresh air Sharon.” They made their way out to the back. The evening had a chill for North Carolina in June. Andy led Sharon to a park seat and they sat together. “Cold Sharon?” Andy asked as he took off his coat and put it over her shoulders. “A little,” Sharon whispered. Andy put his arm around her shoulder and she snuggled close to him.

“Andy,” Sharon asked, “What are you going to do this fall? Where are you going to go?” “I don't know Sharon, I hadn't thought about it. I reckon I'll get a job down at Foley's or something. I don't want to go anywhere, I love Mayberry! Something will come up. I've always looked up to Sheriff Poindexter, maybe I can work around the courthouse some.”

“Oh Andy, how can you say that? Don't you want to travel? I love Mayberry too, but I feel like I'm in a cage. I'm suffocating here. I've got to get out! Andy, how can you think of staying here?”

Andy felt Sharon stiffen and pull away from him as she turned to face him. “I can't imagine how anyone could be content in this little town.” “But I love it here Sharon, I don't want to go anywhere else.” Now they both stood up. Sharon slowly pulled Andy's coat from her shoulders. “I think I'd like to go now Andy,” she said as she handed Andy the coat to Andy. “But Sharon ...” “No, Andy I think its best this way” “How about one last dance before we go?” Andy asked with a resigned air. “That would be nice Andy.” They slowly walked back into gym as the Wildcats played “The Chattanooga Choo-Choo.”

No comments:

Post a Comment